Needles and Syringes Found in the Community
If you find needles/syringes in the community check out the “I Found a Needle. Now What?” resource for safe handling and disposal methods.
*Individuals are responsible for disposal of needles/syringes found on their private property. Property management of an apartment building/commercial building is responsible for picking up and disposing of discarded needles/syringes found on the property.
24-hour Sharps Disposal Bin Locations. You can drop off your used sharps at any 24-hour sharps disposal bins located outdoors at:
- CK Public Health, 435 Grand Avenue West, Chatham, ON
- CK Public Health, Clinic Services, 177 King Street East, Chatham, ON
- Chatham-Kent John D. Bradley Convention Centre/Safe Shelter, 565 Richmond Street, Chatham, ON
- Find a community disposal bin
- Most pharmacies will provide free sharps containers and disposal of used needles or syringes for their customers. Contact the pharmacy of your choice and ask about their services, or check out the Health Products Stewardships Association to find a local pharmacy that takes back needles/syringes used for medical reasons.
- For household disposal – needles can be dropped off on Household Hazardous Waste Day in rigid puncture proof containers. For more information about Household Hazardous Waste Day contact the Municipality of Chatham-Kent at (519) 360-1998, or click here.
- Businesses and Health Care Providers must obtain proper sharps disposal containers and arrange for a contract for disposal from a biomedical waste disposal company.