Infectious diseases are caused by germs, like bacteria and viruses, and can spread from person to person in different ways. When a disease spreads to many people, it is called a disease outbreak. Diseases may pose a serious health risk, so it’s important to act quickly to find out how people are getting sick to prevent others from getting sick.
CK Public Health works to prevent disease outbreaks and protect your health.
What We Do
Our team of public health nurses, public health inspectors and epidemiologists work together to:
- Investigate all reported infectious diseases in our community to find out how people got sick and to prevent others from getting sick
- Work with hospitals, long-term care homes, retirement homes and other institutions to manage disease outbreaks
- Investigate outbreaks of disease in the community and take action to control disease outbreaks
- Provide advice and education to the public on preventing diseases and infections
- Inspect child care centres, salons and spas to make sure that they are operated safely
- Investigate infection prevention and control (IPAC) lapses at public establishments
- Identify, analyze and monitor disease trends to help prevent diseases from spreading
- Investigate all animal bites and scratches to prevent people from getting rabies
- Act to prevent diseases spread by insects and bugs, like Lyme disease and West Nile virus
- Provide advice and services to prevent people from getting sexually transmitted infections
For More Information
You can always contact CK Public Health to speak to a public health nurse or public health inspector.