When an emergency occurs it can be very stressful on everyone, especially when children are involved. Here are a few things you can do when preparing your family for emergencies and after emergencies happen to help make it easier on you and your children.
– Talk with your children about emergencies that occur in your community and how to prepare for them.
– Practice family evacuation drills regularly and talk about why you are doing it.
– Ensure that your emergency preparedness kit is designed to include items specific to you children’s needs
– Remain calm when an emergency occurs to help prevent your children from panicking.
– Listen to your children and address their concerns.
– Monitor your children’s exposure to media in emergency situations
When developing an emergency plan for your family, and putting together an emergency kit it is a good idea to include your children so they are familiar with it.
For more information on home emergency planning visit http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/