The food we eat in Canada is generally very safe. But sometimes it may carry parasites that can make us sick. One such parasite is Cyclospora.
Click here for more information on Cyclospora
- Before you start, Wash your hands with soap and hot water for 15-20 seconds.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables under running water just before you are ready to eat them.
- Rinse leafy green vegetables in a colander, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth, rinse quickly in cool water and the dry them.
- Use a brush to scrub produce with firm surfaces, like potatoes and carrots (even if you peel them).
- Scrub rough fruit like oranges and cantaloupes, so the inside is not contaminated when the fruit is peeled or cut.