The Government of Canada - Global Travel Advisory
Effective December 15, 2021: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada, regardless of your vaccination status. Omicron travel health notice.
Community transmission of COVID-19 continues in many countries.
You should be fully vaccinated by completing a COVID-19 vaccine series in Canada or abroad at least 14 days before travelling. Be aware that although you are better protected against serious illness if you are vaccinated, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.
If you’re unvaccinated, you remain at increased risk of being infected with and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 when travelling internationally. You should continue avoiding non-essential travel to all destinations.
Regardless of your vaccination status:
- stay informed of COVID-19 activity at your destination, which can vary significantly and change quickly from one country to another and within regions of the country
- use personal protective measures (like wearing a mask, washing hands and maintaining physical distancing where possible)
- follow any additional local public health measures while travelling
- Avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada
- Check requirements for returning to Canada
COVID-19: Travel, Testing & Borders
Return or Travel to Canada
Travellers are eligible to enter or return to Canada if they qualify as a fully vaccinated travaller. Use the link below to see if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and the steps required to enter or return to Canada.
Others Returning and Entering Canada
To limit the further spread of COVID-19 in Canada, travel restrictions are in place across all border crossings. Use the links below to see if you are eligible to enter Canada.
- Find out if you can enter Canada
- Foreign workers and students
- Transit through Canada including to/from Alaska
Testing and Quarantine Requirements
Travellers entering Canada, regardless of citizenship, must follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep everyone safe. Use the links below to determine testing and quarantine requirements.
- Checklists: unvaccinated, essential services and others
- Flying: register for your arrival test
- Testing if not qualified as fully vaccinated
- Quarantine or isolation if not qualified as fully vaccinated
Travelling within Canada
There are travel restrictions and exemptions when moving between or within some provinces and territories. Proof of vaccination with QR code is required on Federally regulated transportation (flight, transit, etc). Use the links below to determine restrictions for travel within Canada.
Travelling Outside of Canada
The Travel Advice and Advisories are the Government of Canada's official source of destination-specific travel information. Use the links below to help you make informed decisions and travel safely while you are about.
Use the ArriveCAN app to provide mandatory travel information on and after your entry into Canada. For more information, click here.
Testing for Travellers
A variety of local pharmacies have begun to offer travel COVID-19 testing.
For more information about travel-related testing please see our Getting Tested for COVID-19 page.
For More Information
Priority strategies to Optimize Testing and Quarantine at Canada's Boarders: provides objectives of border measures, recommendations and implementation considerations.
Guide to Self-Isolate at Home: provides additional information from CK Public Health about self-isolating upon returning to Canada.
Resources in Multiple Languages
Government of Canada resources (choose language from drop down menu on right)