Did you know…
Evidence shows there are ways to protect our children from struggling with their mental wellbeing.
- Have dinner together with the family 5+ times per week,
- Engage in 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day,
- Find it easy to talk to their parents about things that bother them,
- Have a high level of communication with their parents,
- Feel their parents trust them,
- Feel their parents expect a lot from them,
- Are involved in at least 1 club or organization,
- Feel they can count on the friends when things go wrong,
- Have friends that share their joys and sorrows,
- Have a high level of perceived support,
- Who feel like they belong at their school
- Who feel they can trust people in the area they live,
- Who feel their neighbourhood is a place neighbours help each other.
Easy ways to set your family up for success:
- Get your child involved in at least 1 club. There are many low or no cost organizations that provide great programming for children around Chatham Kent.
- Get to know the teachers at your children’s school by volunteering in classrooms, joining Parent Council and attending Parent Nights.
- Get to know the neighbours so your child knows and understands that neighbours help each other, they live in a place where they can feel safe and secure.
- Use public places your family has access to like recreation centres, parks, shopping centres and spend free time in the area you live.
- Allow your children to have their friends over so you can get to know who they’re hanging out with. Getting to know their parents can have many benefits as well.