Is my well water safe to use and drink?


To be sure your well water is safe for you and your family to use, you need to have your water tested. Unlike water from the municipality; your well water is not tested regularly unless you do it yourself. You are responsible for ensuring the quality of water from your well is safe. The Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit provides free bacteriological testing of private water wells in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. Visit the Health Unit or your local Service Centre and get water sample bottles for free. Click here for locations of Service Centres in Chatham-Kent. Collect your water sample by following the simple check list included in the test kit. Bring it into the Health Unit and we’ll send it to the Public Health Lab for testing. The results will be mailed directly to you at no charge.

If you have any questions regarding the results call the Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit at 519.352.7270 and a Public Health Inspector will help.

If there are particles in my well water, what can I do?

Water containing particles could appear cloudy – or turbid. Turbid water can be caused by bacterial contamination or can mask bacterial contamination, and that is why testing is recommended three times per year. There is no health hazard from particulates in water in the absence of bacterial contamination, but turbid water is certainly unappealing.  The presence of particulates in water does not reflect increased amounts of dissolved substances. When a well suddenly starts producing turbid water, there are a number of causes that need to be investigated.

If you are concerned that there are chemicals in your well, Contact the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change to find a licensed private laboratory near you: Click here or call 1.800.565.4923 or 416.325.4000.  If you are concerned your well is improperly constructed or needs upgrading or maintenance, contact  a licenced well contractor. To find a list of licenced contractors click here.


About Author

Comments are closed.