Have you checked out Chatham-Kent’s new Kingston Park lately? In addition to the splash pad, there are some new playground structures for your children to play on. Did you know that each year in Canada, close to 30,000 children and youth are injured on playgrounds? Follow these tips to make sure your children play safe all summer long!
- Remove cords and drawstrings from sweatshirts, hats, and jackets. These can get caught on playground equipment and can strangle a child.
- Take off bicycle helmets, which can get trapped in playground equipment.
- Do not tie skipping ropes to any playground equipment.
- Take turns and don’t push!
- Watch for swinging feet on monkey bars and swings.
- Look for and avoid broken equipment, glass, or other hazardous materials.
- Apply sunscreen, wear a hat and sunglasses, and find the shade.
- Put a stop to bullying to avoid physical and emotional wounds.
- Supervise, supervise, supervise!
Remember to choose the right playground for your children. Children under five years of age should use playground equipment under 1.5 meters high. Children over five years of age should use playground equipment between 1.5 and 2 meters high.