Winter can mean bitter cold and storms that bring high winds, icy rain or heavy snowfall. Are you prepared for whatever the season will bring? Do you have an emergency plan for you and your family?
It only takes about 20 minutes to make a family emergency plan online. Before starting, think about:
- Identifying meeting places to reunite with family in case you need to leave your home or cannot return
- Safe exits from your home and neighbourhood
- Designating a person to pick up your children should you be unavailable
- Asking an out-of-town relative or friend to be your family contact
- What you will do with your pet
- What are the risks in your region
- Where are your fire extinguisher, water valve, electrical panel, gas valve and floor drain located
Developing a family emergency plan and discussing emergency situations ahead of time will help you and your family know what to do.