All workplaces are Smoke-free. It’s the law. There are often a lot of questions about smoking and workplaces. Let’s review the most frequently asked questions.
There is no smoking within 9 meters (or 30 feet) of any door at:
- retirement residences
- all Municipal buildings in Chatham-Kent
What about Schools?
There is no smoking on any part of school property. Elementary, secondary, and private schools must be smoke-free.
What about Smoking Shelters?
- These are allowed by the Smoke Free Ontario Act for workplaces only
- Can only have 2 walls and a roof for shelter from the weather
- Must be at least 9 meters or 30 feet away from building entrances
- Cannot be built close to another building
- Cannot be built close to a food service area
- Are not allowed for bars or restaurants
- Bars and restaurants can allow smoking on an uncovered outdoor patio
Can I have a Smoke-Free Policy?
Any business can have its own smoke-free policy. Write up the policy and put it in place.
If you have any questions or if you need some FREE no-smoking signs,
contact Nik Davidovic, Tobacco Enforcement Officer, (519) 352-7270 ext.2437 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.